The name Twanon, comes from a Native American word meaning "gathering place." The Skokomish Indians made their home along Hood Canal because of it's abundant wildlife.The present park was logged around the 1890's. Evidence of this early logging still remains as springboard notches are still visibly carved into old cedar stumps.
The park buildings were constructed by the CCC in the early 1930's and are still preserved in their natural beauty.
The park provides access to one of the warmest saltwater beaches in the state and features picnicking, swimming, hiking, oyster harvesting, boating, water skiing, fishing, camping and smelting. It is located on the south shore of Hood Canal between Belfair and Union.
The Washington State Parks system includes more than 125 developed parks and covers about a quarter million acres.