Unlike most other fish hatcheries in Wyoming, the Como Bluff Hatchery was built privately at the turn of the century. After it became known that the Red Buttes Hatchery south of Laramie would have to be shut down due to lack of suitable water, the Wyoming Game and Fish Department purchased the Como Bluff Hatchery in 1939. The hatchery was not put into full production until 1946 because of WWII and the need to expand.
The hatchery's main reason for being built in Rock River was to take advantage of the four natural springs surrounding the area, supplying 1,400 gallons of water each minute. A variety of trout are raised here including Eagle Lake Rainbow, fall-spawning rainbow, Kamloops rainbow, splake, and cutthroat.
An interesting feature of this hatchery is its isolation facility where eggs and fish suspected of disease can be kept until passing inspections. Fishing for trout is available on nearby Diamond and East Allen lakes.