This site is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
After a name change, By Special Order 49, of Nov. 21, 1865 Maj. Gen. John Pope changed the name of Platte Bridge Station to Fort Caspar. Named for Lieutenant Caspar Collins, Pope chose the lieutenant's first name because there already was a Fort Collins, in Colorado, named for his father.
The first permanent occupation in the Casper area were trading posts and commercial businesses. Ft. Caspar is the site of first the Mormon Ferry across the North Platte River in (1847). Pony Express, Telegraph station and Military fort.
Fort Caspar Museum & Historic Site sits at a crossroads of the western migration. Many emigrants passed through Casper on their way to the Pacific Ocean. There are numerous trail landmarks within Natrona County. A detailed map is available at Fort Caspar Museum & Historic Site.
There is an admission fee.