Klawock is located in P. of Wales-Outer Ketchikan Census Area
. Klawock is a small community of Prince of Wales Island
on the road between Hollis
. It was originally a Tlingit Indian summer fishing village until a trading post and salmon saltery was established in 1868.
In 1878, the first salmon cannery in Alaska was built here. The city was incorporated in 1929.
Klawock Lake and the Klawock River provide good fresh and saltwater fishing. There is a fish hatchery here and visitors are welcome.
There is a park in town with 21 totems. The local Catholic church is known for its stained glass windows with Native tribe designs. Logging and sawmilling are also part of the local economy.