White county is located in southern Illinois along the banks of the Wabash River
. It was created from parts of Gallatin County
in 1815 and is named for Capt. Leonard White, a Gallatin County
legislator best known for helping to have the Illinois-Wisconsin border moved northward to include lands now occupied by Chicago
The county seat is Carmi and the county population on July 1, 1999, was 15,566, a decrease of 956 over the 1990 census. Carmi is home to the Robinson Stewart House which was built in 1814--four years before Illinois became a state. The house was once owned by James M. Robinson, a U.S. Senator, and displays period furnishings.
For information on county government, contact the National Association of Counties Web site.
Additional information is available at these pages: