Founded: 1854, Population 2000: 608, Elevation: 950 ft
Located in the East Region of the state, in Douglas County. The city is NW of Lawrence between Topeka and Lawrence on the banks of the historic Kaw or Kansas River. Lecomption is between Perry State Park and Perry Lake to the north and Clinton State Park and Clinton Lake to the south. Lecompton is part of the Lawrence, Kansas metro area.
From 1854-1861 Lecompton was the Kansas territorial capital. Today it's the location of the Territorial Capitol-Lane Museum and Constitution Hall. Constitution Hall remains one of the oldest wood frame buildings in Kansas.
Lecompton, was founded on a 640-acre Wyandotte Indian land claim, and was originally named Bald Eagle because of the many eagles that nested along the Kansas River. Renamed the same year to Lecompton to honor Judge Samuel D. Lecompte of Maryland. The territorial legislature chose Lecompton to be the capital of Kansas Territory in August, 1855.