Population (year 2000): 4,246, Males: 2,049 (48.3%), Females: 2,197 (51.7%), Elevation: 990 feet. Wamego is located in Pottawatomie County
along US Highway 24 near the Kansas River
and Vermillion Rivers.
Community Events include:
- April 20 & 21 Tulip Festival
- July 1-4 Fireworks Stand Sales
- July 4 Evening Fireworks Display at dark
- Fourth of July Celebration
- Walter P. Chrysler Antique Car Show
Special Places in Wamego;
- Wamego has a Dutch-style windmill built in 1873 by an immigramt from Holland to grind grain.
- The Columbian Theater in Wamego is nicely restored and serves as a theater, museum, and gallery.
- The Louis Vieux Elm near Wamego has been called the largest American elm in the US. Travelers along the Oregon Trail rested under this tree.
Motels, Hotels and Resorts Simmer Motel |
See more Kansas Cities and Towns.
07/18 Coming to The area
Heart of America Shakespeare Festival Kansas City MO June18-July7 The Heart of America Shakespeare Festival is set under the stars in South Moreland Park near Nelson Atkins Museum of Art. It is a perfect way to spend a summer evening with family and friends. They have several programs to study and explore such as Speaker's Bureau and Poster and Sonnet Contest. The faculty includes theatre professionals, actors, and educators experienced in performing and teaching Shakespeare. Many of the instructors are veterans of festival productions.
Kansas State Fair Hutchinson KS September6-15 Each year, over 400,000 visitors flock to the Kansas State Fair to visit a wide array of exhibits, partake in fabulous Fair food, and see the amazing butter sculpture.
Greater Kansas Citry Japan Festival Kansas City MO October6 Cekebrating the cultural of Japan.