Located on Halls Ferry Road, this 673-acre complex is the principal research and testing laboratory in the United States Army Engineer Research and Development Center. Research and development studies support the civil and military missions of the Corps of Engineers; four of seven ERDC laboratories are located at the Vicksburg site, which is the larges of the four Corps of Engineers facilities.
Established in response to the nationally-destructive Mississippi River Flood of 1927, the center continues to study river, harbor and flood control projects and is perhaps the largest and most sophisticated research facility of its kind in the world. The visitor center includes an automated water resources demonstration model.
This is a restricted-acess military facility; visiting information, including guided tours, may be obtained from the Public Affairs Office.