The City of Trenton is the county seat of Mercer County
. It is located east of the Pennsylvania state line along Highway 31, on the banks of the Delaware River
Trenton is the New Jersey capital, 30 miles from Philadelphia and 55 miles from New York City. Assunpink Creek, which runs through the city, was the site of a battle during the American Revolution.
The first permanent settlement was established by Mahlon Stacy, a Quaker, in 1679. Stacy built a mill on the Delaware River. In 1714, he sold his plantation to William Trent, who later became chief justice of the colony. The name was originally Trent Town, later shortened to Trenton. George Washington made his famous crossing of the Delaware River nearby in 1776.
Trenton is part of the Trenton, New Jersey metro area.