Los Alamos Medical Center is a "second generation," it's parent facility having been the old Army hospital on the base of World War II's Manhattan Project. The current building was constructed by the Army Corps of Engineers in 1951 and was advertised as state of the art upon its grand opening in January, 1952.
Los Alamos Medical Center and its adjacent physician facilities continue to strive for the best, most modern equipment and services that a small hospital can provide. In 1999, a bone density scanner, a spiral CT scanner, new fluoroscopy equipment, and other capital improvements were added, along with a $4 million physician office building. Capital support for such projects came from the continuing net margin achieved by the 47-bed not-for-profit facility each year, as well as from the continuing work of the Hospital Auxiliary of LAMC.