The railroad was originally built by the Newark, Sommerset and Straitsville Railroad in 1871 and extended from Newark, Ohio south 45 miles to Shawnee, Ohio. The line became a part of the Baltimore & Ohio (B&O) Railroad which later became the Chessie System. The line was abandoned in 1971 and the remaining line from Hebron to Heath was preserved and became the Buckeye Central Scenic Railroad. The station was also built around the 1870s and is of wooden design with hand hewn joints and beams fastened with wood pegs that was typical for that era. The locomotive, No. 8599, is the last of a series of 200 locomotives known as an SW-1 and was built by the Electro Motive Division of General Motors in 1948. Operating equipment consists of 4 former Canadian National Railway coaches built in 1936 and one former B&O coach built circa 1910. Other rolling stock on display are 3 cabooses; Pierre Marquette style built around 1940, a C&O, built around 1950 and a N&W built around 1950.