About 25 miles Northeast of John Day in Grant County
are the remains of the mining camp called Susanville. Founded in 1864, the camp had rich gold deposits and claimed its name in 1901 when miners stole the post office from a rival camp downstream. Pictured is the 10 stamp mill built primarily to process ore from the Badger Mine. A few prospectors still work the area searching for gold.
(Photos courtesy of Bob Benton)