The Heinz Memorial Chapel began as a gift. Henry John Heinz, the founder of the H. J. Heinz Company, wanted to honor his mother, Anna Margaretta Heinz, with "a building" at the University. Mr. Heinz, who died in 1919, arranged to do that in his will. Mr. Heinz's three surviving children added to his bequest in order to memorialize their grandmother and honor their father. The children were guided in their choice of a memorial by the concepts of education and religion, concepts with which Anna Margaretta Heinz imbued her children. Ground was broken for the Chapel in 1933, the cornerstone was laid in 1934, and the building was dedicated in 1938. Highlights include the organ, marble altar, carved woodwork and interior exterior stone carvings .