The seat of Jim Hogg County
, Hebbronville is at the junction of Hwys 16, 285, and 359.
The town was established in 1883, when the Texas-Mexican Railway Company built through that area, east of Laredo.
Hebbronville Auction and Commission Company was organized in 1960 to handle the large number of cattle raised and sold in the area. A hospital opened in 1961. In 1963 Hebbronville had a bank, three cemeteries, a courthouse, several schools, eight churches, and 105 businesses. In 1980 the town had a population of 4,050 and eighty-eight businesses. In the 1990s it remained a small, predominantly Mexican-American community, with an estimated population of 4,608 and fifty-four businesses. Although there were no more seminarians, Scotus College still served the community and continued to be affiliated with the Archdiocese of Guadalajara.