Berkeley Springs in Morgan County
), famous for their supposed curative properties, had been attracting Indians from as far away as Canada long before Europeans discovered them.
Frequented by George Washington and Lord Thomas Fairfax, who gave his landholdings to the state, the springs soon became popular with the Colonial elite. The town was established as a health resort in 1776 under the name of Bath, which is still its official name.
Soldiers from Virginia regiments were treated at the resort during the Revolutionary War and George and Martha Washington owned property in the area.