Chitina is located in Valdez-Cordova Census Area
at Mile 33 on the Edgerton Hwy/McCarthy Rd
which joins the Richardson Hwy
at Mile 35 coming out of Valdez
. Pronounced CHIT-na, it was established in 1908 as a stop on the Copper River & Northwestern Railway.
Chitina was a supply town for the closed Kennecott Copper Mines at McCarthy. Much of the land in the area is owned by the Chitina Native Corp.
There is a NPS ranger station for the Wrangell-St Elias NP and Preserve in Chitina. It is open daily 10am-6pm Memorial Day to Labor Day.
The town is known for its seasonal salmon runs of reds, kings and silvers. During the summer, subsistence dipnetting for salmon on the Copper River brings a large number of Alaskans from all areas of the state.