In the Wet'Suwet'En language, Telkwa means "where the rivers meet". Established as a small settlement in 1907, the town is now a thriving community of about 1100. Its main industries are forestry, mining, agriculture and tourism. Located on Yellowhead Highway 16
, 12 km south of Smithers
, Telkwa offers complete visitor services, such as restaurants, tennis courts, playgrounds, laundry facilities, RV parks, a grocery store and a motel located on the riverfront.
A walking tour of Telkwa reveals the quaint remains of the early years, including the ninety year old St. Stephen's church.