Old Mission State Park features the oldest standing building in Idaho, The Mission of the Sacred Heart built between 1848 and 1853. The park has a recently restored Parish house next to the mission, and a historic cemetery.
There is a large grassy area for picnics. The visitor center includes an interpretive exhibit on the area and the Coeur d'Alene Indians. The Mission walls stand a foot thick, without the benefit of nails. The structure was woven carefully of straw, mud and woven pegs. Over 300 members of the tribe labored over the consruction. The Mission became a State Park in 1975. August 15 is the annual Coeur d'Alene Indian pilgrimage and taste traditional native foods at the "Coming of the Black Robes" pageant. Many of Idaho's most beautiful and scenic spots are preserved in the Idaho State Parks system.