The commune of Esch-sur-Alzette is located at Luxembourgs southern border with France. With 27,186 residents, it is the second most populous center in Luxembourg, trailing only the capital city. Steel production is a major industry, with the ARBED corporation being one of the towns largest employers.
The attractions of Esch-sur-Alzette include a huge 57 hectare city park graced with many flowers, and the restored Berwart Tower, dating from 1621. The National Resistance Museum celebrates Luxembourgian resistance to the Nazi occupation.
The Alzette River flows northeast from Esch-sur-Alzette towards Luxembourg City, 15 kilometers away as the crow flies. The A4 roadway connects the two cities.