Family-oriented activities and exhibits are the focus of this historic site, occupying 3 acres on the south end of Davis Island, overlooking the Sheepscot River; harbor seals and osprey are often seen here, just a mile off Highway 1.
The octagonal wooden blockhouse built to protect Wiscasset,- once the most important shipping center north of Boston,- and restored fortifications are featured. The structure was built of hand-hewn oak timbers in 1808 and provides an interesting example of construction methods used during the War of 1812 era. The remains of earthworks are still evident on the grounds.
Group tours available. Open daily mid-June through Labor Day, closed Memorial and Labor Days; call museum for hours.