The museum is housed in a 3-story former county courthouse built in 1924. The collection includes agricultural tools and implements forged from hand-dug iron ore; hand-crafted household cupboards, wagon benches, beds, tables, chests, cradles, plantation desks and miniature furniture samples shown by early salesmen. There are treasured military uniforms from the Revolution to the 20th Century and a major repository of Civil War artifacts. Textiles include hand-stitched quilts, clothes ranging from the pioneer's homespun to a debutante presentation gown created prior to the birth of England's Queen Victoria, to the jeweled frocks and hats of the Twenties flappers. Pottery samples include the primitive, simple ware of a kitchen cabin to lavishly decorative pieces and enchanting face and figure jugs. A 1930's racecar is displayed in the land where stock car racing was born.