Chiloquin is located in Klamath County
south of Chemult
between Fort Klamath
and Klamath Falls
, off of Highway 97
on the banks of the Williamson and Sprague rivers near Agency Lake and Upper Klamath Lake
. Also situated within the Winema National Forest
and is noted for its fishing, hunting, camping and skiing opportunities. The town was incorporated 1926, a mistake by a surveryor listed the town as being only half the size it was. Many years before Chiloquin became a town,it was a campsite for a group of Klamath Indians, the Maqlaqs. The town was also named for an old war chief, Chief Chay-lo-quin.
The population estimate for July 1, 1998 was 738, an increase of 65 since 1990.
Although the closure of the lumber mills has changed Chiloquin from the rowdy boomtown it was during its formative years in the 1920s and 1930s, the now quiet little town has a population of productive individuals who are working towards steady, controlled regeneration.