In 1850, The Church of the Holy Cross, Episcopal (or Holy Cross Episcopal Church) was situated in Stateburg, South Carolina, which was a thriving community located on the King's Highway connecting Charleston and the upper state.
Holy Cross Episcopal Church has served this area in all aspects of Christian life. The minister position was shared by surrounding churches until 1975, when the first full-time rector came. Since that time, Holy Cross Episcopal Church has continued to grow.
Successor to the Chapel of Ease of 1770 and the old Claremont Church of 1788, it is constructed of pise de terre (rammed earth). This church is a beautiful example of Victorian Gothic in architectural design and furnishings. The organ is by Henry Erben, renowned 19th century organ-maker of New York. Installed in 1851, it is one of the few remaining. In the churchyard are graves of distinguished South Carolinians.