Built in 1914, this two-cell county jail was used only once before being abandoned in 1936. Fifty years later it was given a new purpose when it was converted into a museum of North Coast history in 1987. Its permanent exhibition displays the aspects of the North Coast history such as native settlements, the natural environment, major industries, early families, and community life. Davenport Jail is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The town of Davenport is 11 miles north of Santa Cruz on Highway 1. The Jail Museum is located next to the Davenport Cash Store.
The museum is open on the weekends from 10:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m., and by appointment.