New Baltimore is in Macomb County
, and in the Southeast Region
. This community is located just northeast of Detroit
between Mt Clemons and Port Huron
along Interstate 94 near Anchor Bay and Lake St Clair.
New Baltimore is part of the Detroit, Michigan metro area.
Pierre Yax first settled this location in 1796. Fabian Robertjean made the first government land purchase in 1820. Alfred Ashley, who traveled from Mount Clemens in 1845, constructed the first dock and the sawmill. In 1851, he platted the village as Ashley, and on September 20, 1851 the area was given a post office called Ashleyville, with him as its postmaster. The post office was renamed New Baltimore on March 7, 1855. This settlement was incorporated in 1867 and as a city in 1931.
Today, New Baltimore has a relaxing beach and downtown shopping district. It's supported economically by its close distance to the greater Detroit metro area.