Spun off from La Salle County
in 1841, Grundy county lies in the northeastern portion of Illinois. It is named for Felix Grundy, a Tennessee attorney and later the U.S. Attoney General.
The first settler of the area was William Marquiss, a farmer from Madison county, Ohio, in 1828.
The area's population began increasing in 1835 as the first dry goods store, blacksmith shop and shoemaker opened businesses. In 1841, the first permanent Post Office was established. The first jail was erected in 1845.
The area's economy originally was based on agriculture and coal, the latter being of great importance to Chicago.
The county seat is Morris and the population on July 1, 1999, was 37,181, an increase of 4,844 over the 1990 census.
For information on county government, contact the National Association of Counties Web site.
Additional information is available at these pages: