Fort Assinniboine was constructed in 1879, becoming the largest military fort west of the Mississippi. Several of the original buildings still stand. The fort served as a base for patrols alone the Canadian border and the Milk River Valley. It became a state agricultural experiment station in 1911. The famous Black Tenth Cavalry Regiment was headquartered here in the 1890's before participating in the Spanish-American War in Cuba and the Philipines. Tours are conducted for a fee and are daily at 4pm. Special Tours available upon request. Otherwise, entry is not allowed. Fort Assinniboine is located six miles SW of Havre
of Hwy 87. The season runs from May 1 to Labor Day.